The summer months are approaching quickly and they’re bringing the heat along with them. As you exercise for weight loss in New Jersey, don’t let the weather hold your workout hostage indoors—enjoy some summer swimming to stay fit and cool.
A lot of people think of swimming as a way to pass time on a hot summer day, not a form of exercise. While floating around in the pool with a beverage in hand isn’t going to be much of a cardio workout, you can still have fun in the water while burning calories. Lose the float and grab your goggles to make the most of your time in the pool this summer!
There are a bunch of advantages to swimming as a cardio workout, including:
- Exercising in the water provides your body with resistance that helps you burn calories while staying cool in the hot summer months.
- Swimming is not only good for physical fitness—it helps to relax and rejuvenate your body. These are also important components of staying healthy that aren’t directly related to losing weight.
- Swimming is an excellent activity if you travel a lot during the summer months, as pools are standard amenities for most hotels.
Like any form of exercise, it is important to set yourself up for success by following safety precautions. Before getting in the water, remember:
- Never swim alone.
- If you are using a public pool, be courteous of other swimmers.
- Always know where the ladder or steps are located in the pool in case of emergency.
When it comes to weight management, swimming can be an excellent alternative to going for a jog or spending a beautiful afternoon at the gym. The next time that you’re looking for a cool break from your regular fitness routine this summer, take a plunge!