During your medical weight loss program in New Jersey you’ll be focusing on making positive lifestyle changes including dietary changes and implanting an exercise routine into your weekly schedule. Exercise isn’t always the easiest transition to commit to, however your weight loss doctor will work with you to determine the best exercise option to suit your individual needs. One beneficial activity for weight loss is yoga. Yoga is a low-impact activity, meaning that it is generally low intensity and doesn’t put added strain or pressure on your joints. Yoga is a fun, relaxing way to incorporate exercise into your routine without over exerting yourself.
What is Yoga?
Yoga is a practice that focuses on the mind-body connection. Yoga is a meditative practice that includes physical postures, breathing techniques and meditation or relaxation. Yoga is a relaxing form of exercise that allows you to focus on your mind while working on your body.
Benefits of Yoga during Medical Weight Loss
. Benefits of yoga include:
- Increased muscle strength
- Increased flexibility
- Improved respiration and energy
- Cardio and circulatory health
- Weight reduction
- Immunity boost
- Stress reduction
- Management of chronic conditions
Getting Started with Yoga during Medical Weight Loss
Before you begin any exercise program, you’ll want to consult your weight loss doctor to ensure that the program will be safe and effective for your weight loss journey. Then, you’ll want to decide which form of yoga is best for you. There are many different yoga classes available that present different styles of the exercise. Some common forms of yoga are:
- Kundalini. During this yoga practice you will flow from one pose to the next. You will be constantly moving and the poses will be invigorating. This yoga strives to awaken your energy and push it upward through your body.
- Ashtanga. Ashtanga moves from pose to pose. As you move through the poses, their intensity and difficulty will increase. These classes are great for getting your heart rate pumping.
- Bikram. During a bikram yoga session you will be in a room that is heated to 105 degrees with 40 percent humidity. It will consist of about 26 yoga poses, repeated twice with a focus on alignment and posture.
- Hatha. Hatha is very popular and encompasses several types of yoga all at once. It is relaxing and perfect for de-stressing after a long day.
Yoga can be a great way to begin exercising. During medical weight loss, you want to be happy as well as healthy, so it is important to find a form of exercise that you can truly enjoy. Since it focuses on body and mind, yoga is a beneficial exercise option for anyone looking to improve their overall wellness.