More and more people are finding that walking to lose weight is both convenient and effective. You don’t need a membership and you can do it any time of the day or night. However, you’ll want to follow a few safety tips if you plan to walk at night.
Safety Tips For Walking At Night
- Stay on the walking path. Choose walking routes that offer lighted paths away from the traffic, ideally with sidewalks present.
- Walk towards traffic. If you must walk along the side of the road, walk so that you are facing oncoming traffic. Never walk with your back to traffic.
- Look both ways when you cross the street. Remember that most drivers aren’t expecting someone to walk across the street at night, so pay extra attention when you’re crossing even if you’re at a light and have the right-of-way.
- Walk along popular walking paths. If you choose a route that is frequented by runners and walkers, drivers are more likely to expect pedestrians.
- Wear bright clothing. Do not go walking at night dressed in all black or other dark colors. Reflective strips on your clothing will ensure that motorists will see you.
In addition to these tips, it’s always a good idea to let someone know where you plan to walk and how long you expect to be gone.