Family dynamics will have a large influence on your eating habits throughout the course of your life. The problem is that not everyone comes from a particularly healthy family. Moms and Dads have their own struggles with eating behaviors that they too often pass down to their kids—something you may be familiar with if you are a parent now, yourself.
Many people struggle with learned behaviors from childhood that make it difficult to lose weight. These might include:
- Snacking habits
- Food preferences
- Portion sizes
- Meal times
- Produce variety
- Cooking habits and interests
The Optifast New Jersey program presents you with an opportunity to re-evaluate your existing eating behaviors and develop healthier dietary habits that will help you maintain your weight loss long-term. This can help you to develop a healthier relationship with food, and give you the tools to become a positive example within your own family.
Correcting Poor Eating Habits
As the saying goes, “old habits die hard.” This is especially true when it comes to eating habits, as hunger can make it challenging to think clearly and make healthy choices.
Correcting negative eating habits is a two-step process. First, you have to identify what habits should be changed. Examples of negative eating behaviors include:
- Tendency to clear your plate, despite oversized portions
- Habit of eating when you are not physically hungry, as a result of stress, social pressure or other reasons
- Consumption of high-calorie beverages
- Poor snacking habits
- Tendency to skip meals
Once identified, replace those poor habits with healthier behaviors. Simply stopping a habit is difficult. Replacing a negative behavior with something positive can make the adjustment easier. This may include:
- Purchasing Tupperware to make storing leftovers easier
- Filling your home and office with healthy snacks that will encourage you to make healthier choices
- Choosing to drink water instead of caloric beverages
- Having small, ready-to-go meals like the OPTIFAST products nearby, so you aren’t pressured to skip a meal
The Optifast weight loss program provides you with a chance to step away from your existing eating habits and conduct a dietary overhaul as you lose weight. While following the meal replacement diet, think about the ways your current dietary style is influencing your health, as well as that of your family. Use the tools you gain during your OPTIFAST program to make lasting changes to your lifestyle.